I’ve been busy with a house move for the last week so I’m releasing where I last left Resolution. It has a way to go before it’s a proper game, but it’s got the basic mechanics in there. I’ll call that a tick in the box for my January OGAM entry.
Left and right control the character, up and down vary the target speed for running. The max speed you can run at depends on both your energy and current weight. Either of these are affected by how long you run for and what you eat (energy bolts or food).
It’s obviously missing some major features, which I’ll add over time when I can:
– Scoring and failure state. I imagined that coming off the end of the treadmill would be failure. Wah wah wah wahhhh. The longer you’re on, the higher your score counter goes. Or pickups. I dunno.
– Game state handling to let you start at your leisure, pause, and handle the end game states.
– Better balancing of pickups. At the moment they’re randomly spawned across treadmills, increasing in rate as you avoid them, decreasing if you hit them. It also needs to distinguish between good pickups (energy) and bad (food).
– More treadmills. I’ve implemented variable speed treadmills, so these can be added to make it a challenge to move around the whole scene. This could then be tied into a risk/reward system for collectibles.
– Tuning. It needs it. Much of it.
– Sound? Who listens to things anyway?