I’ve begun work on my first app. It’s called Homogeneity and it’s a game built with libgdx. The aim is to make it a new take on an old theme of turn based puzzle game.
I’m going to set myself a release target for the end of the month so I need to work out what has to be in the first build. Off the top of my head I think I’ll need the following:
- Extensible game engine. As I have an idea where the design is going I should plan to support future features from the go.
- Score recording but not score evaluation. As I said, this game is turn based. Now, I have some ideas about how to evaluate scoring (i.e. what’s a “good” number of turns, what’s a “medium” number of turns, etc.), but it’s going to require either a dedicated bit of work to create, or a complete abandonment of my plans and I’ll just fudge it … If I at least capture and record the best score so far I can map this back to evaluations later.
- Two sets of levels to give an idea of what I plan to expand in future releases.
- All permissions I’ll need. Now, this won’t be quite right. In the future I may require SD card access for a planned feature, but this can be made obvious at the time I request them. The last thing I want to do is keep adding little extra permissions with each release. It annoys me as a users and I can’t believe I’m alone with that. I want to have my minimum permission set in place up front.
- AdMob support. This’ll be a LITE release so I should start as I mean to go on.
- Tablet support. My flatmate owns a Xoom and I’m eyeing up a Thrive. ’Nuff said really.
- Basic rendering. I just want it to work for now. I can improve things later.
Anything else is a bonus.